Biography and Vitae
Photo by: Patricia
- Bachelor of Music (BM), Double Bass Performance, Metropolitan State University Denver, 2011 (Summa Cum Laude).
- Bachelor of Science Electronic Engineering Technology (BSEET), DeVry Institute, 1984.
- Colorado K-12 substitute teaching license #25944, JeffCo #145544.
- Principal bass Denver Philharmonic Orchestra since 2011.
- Principal bass, Orion Winds (double wind quintet with bass) since 2002.
- Master Mentor, Denver School of the Arts (DSA), SY2013, SY2014, SY2015.
- Principal bass, MSU symphony orchestra 2007-2011.
- Principal bass, Lakewood Symphony 2001-2006 seasons. Guest conductor 2005 pops concert.
- Substitute bass, Musica Sacra Chamber Orchestra since 2005.
- Section bass, Jefferson Symphony Orchestra, 2000, 2001, 2005 and 2006 seasons.
- Section bass, Raleigh Civic Symphony, 1990-1994 seasons.
- Performing and teaching since 1984.
- Software engineer (1984-2006), working for companies such as Western Union, IBM, Data General, Gateway, and The Sports Authority.
Mark grew up playing accordion in elementary school, played the electric bass in high school and college jazz ensembles,
and discovered the double bass not until after college in 1984.
The double bass and electric bass soon grew into a life-long passion consuming much of his free time.
After managing a succesful 25 year-long first career as a software engineer, Mark decided to follow his heart, retired from the computer industry and
returned to school this time for music and the double bass.
Now embarked on a second career as a professional musician, Mark is principal bassist with
Denver Philharmonic Orchestra,
and has played in the pit with the Longmont Ballet/Dance Theatre Company.
In the years leading up to music school, he had performed with the Jefferson and Lakewood symphony orchestras, as well as with Musica Sacra.
Passionate about teaching, he works as a Teaching Artist, chamber music coach and bass mentor, at the Denver School for the Arts (DSA) for SY2013 and SY2014. and he is also a frequent clinician to middle and high school string orchestra programs in Jefferson County Colorado. He also maintains a successful private teaching studio, and his students are beginning to flow into music conservatories. Check out his bluegrass trio, Blue Moon Bluegrass.
Mark’s wife, Patricia, is a beekeeper, raises heritage breed turkeys, and is an avid gardener. They enjoy hiking local trails together and collecting seeds from native wild flowers and grasses.